I own my share of workout DVDs. And I have actually used them. Yes, really. Multiple times. But eventually, I get tired of the program, find something different, or want to stab the trainer so I move on. Not one to give up entirely, I recently tried another series and so far so good. But it got me thinking. These workout DVDs don’t reflect real people. Everyone in them is already incredibly toned. If you can banter while doing burpees, then we are not even close to similar fitness levels. I cannot relate to you. What if there was a home workout DVD for the rest of us? A workout series that features a supporting cast with varying degrees of fitness, forget the uber-sculpted, picture perfect “after” people. I want to see Nancy who has a visible muffin top and is there strictly to make us all feel better about ourselves. Our new best friend, Nancy, keeps pausing to take drinks and then just phones it in when she can be bothered to return. This DVD features one keener, let’s call her Sheila, and the rest shoot her dirty looks and roll their eyes whenever the instructor singles her out for her exceptional stamina and skill. Sheila shows everyone up and likes it. Let’s see some people struggling with the coordination some moves require. And at some point someone needs to trip. At least once. Or just fall over for no reason. On to workout gear. No spandex. Alright, the top performer is allowed, but everyone else needs to wear an old t-shirt with loose shorts. Preferably, we’re going to see repeated clothing adjustments as the workout progresses. Top marks if there is a chronic wedgie issue for at least one person. There should be a counter at the bottom that let’s you know the amount of snack food you have burned off. “That’s ten M&M’s, not bad.” “Keep going, you’ve almost neutralized the spoonful of peanut butter you ate after lunch.” Hair. We all stop our workouts to redo our pony tail or clip or what-not. Minimum, someone in the background must have bangs that keep getting into their eyes. When the instructor announces that the workout is halfway done, I’d like to see some defeated expressions, possibly gasp. The best would be a cast member moaning “come ON, that’s IT?”. Bonus if they walk off in a huff and give up altogether. Everyone else is still trying, but there’s that one woman keeled over, gasping for air and holding up a finger requesting a minute. During jumping jacks or a similar plyometrics-inspired segment, one of them stops, looks horrified, a rushes off stage only to return minutes later wearing new shorts (I think we all know what happened there). During the cool down, someone needs to pass gas. Preferably the most fit member in the group, yes, you, Sheila. The others quietly moves a little farther away, smirking. While everyone else is stretching, Nancy just waves it off with “nah, I’m good,” and slowly unwraps a Snickers. As they exit the studio, an especially exhausted participant hi-fives the instructor and then, barely audible, mutters “you’re dead to me.” That’s a DVD I would buy. __________ Looking for more thoughts and feelings on exercise? How about my views on doing organized sports?
March 5, 2015
Workout DVD For the Rest of Us
By Jan Moyer
About Jan Moyer
Embracing my inner child since 2005. View all posts by Jan Moyer
This entry was posted on Thursday, March 5th, 2015 at 9:01 am and tagged with exercise, fitness, humor, workout, workout DVD and posted in Random Bananas. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
5 responses to “Workout DVD For the Rest of Us”
- RT @AnniemuMary: Handwritten sign that the world's ending in the rear window but I noticed a renewed license plate sticker. I think we're g… 3 hours ago
- Bearded Husband: It smells nice in here, is it your perfume. Me: It's Lysol fresh linen room deodorizer. 12 hours ago
- This fruit-to-go habit is going to be our undoing. https://t.co/nIS37rqocw 17 hours ago
- Wearing my bathing suit under my clothes like it's 1983. 17 hours ago
- 6: Did you know the word 'ask' has a bad word inside? Also, I know how to spell the f-word. Wanna hear? Me: No. 6: ok, later. I'll wait. 19 hours ago
Follow me on Instagram
- © Janice Moyer and Tough Bananas, 2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jan Moyer and Tough Bananas with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.